*Interesting Letter* May 2012 issue of O Magazine.
Oprah shares the cover with her young 21-yr-old self which she writes a letter to.
Dear beautiful brown-skinned girl,
I look into your eyes and see the light and hope of myself.
In this photo you are just about to turn 20, posing outside the television station where you were recently hired as a reporter. You’re proud of yourself for getting the job, but uncertain you’ll be able to manage all your college classes before 1 and arrive at the station by 1:30 for a full day’s work. Even so, your biggest concern is how to manage your love life with Bubba. Yes, you are dating someone named Bubba.
On this day you’ve brought him to the station to see where you work, hoping he’ll be proud, too. He seems less than impressed. The truth is, he’s intimidated. You don’t know this, though, because you can see yourself only through his eyes. A lesson you will have to learn again and again: to see yourself with your own eyes, to love yourself from your own heart.
You’ve spent too many days and years trying to please others and be what they wanted you to be. You will have to learn that the wounds of your past—rape, molestation, whippings for “stepping out of place,” and not being allowed to show anger or cry afterward—damaged your self-esteem. Yet through it all, you’ve held on to a belief in God and God’s belief in you.
That will be your single greatest gift: knowing there is a power greater than yourself and trusting that Force to guide you.
The trajectory of your life changed the day you answered the call from Chris Clark, the news director at WLAC-TV. Your response was ignited by the words of your then-favorite Bible verse, Philippians 3:14. “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
Knowing there is a “high calling” is what will sustain and fulfill you.
From where I sit now, viewing your journey, there are few regrets. Only months before this picture was taken, you wrote a poem about a “woman becoming.” Even then you understood that success was a process and that moving with the flow of life and not against it would be your greatest achievement.
Love you deeply,
Read more: www.oprah.com
- theatricalnovelty reblogged this from onedirectionfacingmecca
- whether-which reblogged this from blackfashion and added:
- ichaseelephants likes this
- okayeva reblogged this from blackfashion and added:
- hyoshihira likes this
- pinarisaplonker likes this
- lehazzaa reblogged this from blackfashion
- nonna likes this
- inlivingcolour-es likes this
- yizuni likes this
- canoegirl42 likes this
- keeeeviin likes this
- harajuku-doll88 reblogged this from blackfashion
- monsebabyy reblogged this from blackfashion
- sheddingmysecondskin likes this
- epollard72 likes this
- halfamazonhalfamazing reblogged this from jelizabeth41
- radicalbehavior likes this
- ebonyfreebird reblogged this from jelizabeth41
- fashjones likes this
- lairoftheseductress likes this
- adoptmejolie likes this
- beaucoupdamourtoujours likes this
- somethingaboutsarah likes this
- dark-beauty reblogged this from thatsjusttutu
- dark-beauty likes this
- beautyismadness likes this
- nyonjo reblogged this from mimimrembo
- wantering-bags likes this
- byanymeansnecessary likes this
- dreamerinaworldofrealists reblogged this from fuckyeahfamousblackgirls
- litteraenimoccidit reblogged this from onedirectionfacingmecca and added:
- litteraenimoccidit likes this
- azelie likes this
- arulpragasams likes this
- erifresh reblogged this from onedirectionfacingmecca
- everythingexceptrapandcountry likes this
- psionichounds likes this
- kadalkavithaigal reblogged this from praisethelorde
- kokosworld likes this
- allthosesleeplessnights likes this
- dreamingdiametrically reblogged this from blackfashion and added:
- cali-giggles likes this
- dekornel reblogged this from badboydrd
- badboydrd reblogged this from dominiquetheuniquefreak
- music-sports-fashion-africa likes this
- imjustcandace reblogged this from blackfashion
- jsmooth13 reblogged this from miggdeangel
- life-on-a-rock reblogged this from theblacksophisticate
- wildboyshawty reblogged this from blkfreedom